What is Common Core?
Who is Going To Help Your Child Master the New Academic Standards?
California, along with 43 other states, have adopted Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The Common Core State Standards is a U.S. education initiative with goals of increasing the academic ability, international competitiveness and technical workforce preparedness of American students nationwide.
Common Core State Standards significantly raise the academic bar in math, spoken English, grammar, literature, reading comprehension, science, social studies and history. Implementation strategies and desired results for Common Core State Standards are new to teachers, administrators, parents and students.
At a glance, students will be required to:
- Independently use technology as a learning source
- Understand the why and how behind math problems.
- Verbally explain the reason behind their answers (right or wrong)
- Be computer literate (typing, internet research, develop presentations)
- Work in isolation and cohesively with other students
Bay Area Tutoring Association prepares students for Common Core State Standards and the Smarter Balanced Assesment (SBAC) using collaborative communication between student and tutor, Socratic style tutoring dialogs and blended learning interaction. If you are unsure about your child’s readiness, schedule a Common Core assessment.